We are introducing a new area in our ICF MN Catalyst that we hope will provide awareness, resources and acknowledgment of situations impacting our coaching community. Our hope is that this will help you navigate these interesting and stressful times and create a “go to place” for insight and helpful resources. As coaches the ability to ensure that we help our clients and each other with some very real and tough situations that are a reality for them.
ICF MN Mirror Team: Reality and Acknowledgement – Words Matter
As we see things unfold through the media there has been terminology used to define our current situation that impacts all of us and additional concern in minority communities causing fear.
The reality that exists is the pandemic we are experiencing is COVID-19 not the Chinese Virus
· This has been extremely difficult for the Chinese Americans and touches other Asian communities such as Hmong, Korean, and Japanese.
· Not only is there fear of being infected by COVID-19, but also the stigma and discrimination that would potentially follow.
· History tells us that when national-level crisis exists, people of minority groups can and are impacted. Calling COVID-19 “Chinese Virus” has pushed Chinese Americans to an awkward position causing concern for their safety.
· For self-protection, some have joined virtual “SOS” groups based on where they live. The purpose of the group is that if an emergency happens to someone, the person will send a message to the group and members nearby would drive over as fast as they could to help.
· During the crisis, many Chinese Americans are actively seeking ways to help, either by donating money or donating personal protective equipment to local hospitals.
· During the Coronavirus pandemic, hatred and division won’t get us through, but love and unity will.
A New Tool created by Christina Brandt (coach and current ICF MN board member): I was inspired on Friday to create the below. I simply and only offer it to you if helpful please feel free to pass it on.
"I was thinking about the role fear is playing in decision-making and how we are living life during this uncertainty. Drawing upon my life coaching, should you find it an option or helpful, I share a "tool" with you, slightly modified for the moment.
F.O.R.W.A.R.D. “May we define how, not have it defined for us.”
F = Identify your fears
O = Brainstorm all the outcomes related to your fears
R = List what is real about these outcomes, feelings, facts, etc.
W = Of the realities what are you willing, unwilling to accept as truth
A = How is your attitude affecting what you are choosing
R = If needed, could you reimagine, an alternative perspective
D = Now empowered, what decisions can you make for today, the week, etc."
ICF Global Resources · https://coachfederation.org/covid-19-resources-for-coaches
· Small Business Emergency Loan
· Federal SBA Disaster Loans (COVID-19)
· Unemployment Insurance
· Frequently Asked Questions for Employers & Businesses